Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Years in Review

I'm not sure exactly what came over me, but today I decided to look at my past blog posts and I came to the realization that - well, I've been doing this for a long time! It's crazy to look back and see how far you've come and how much trekking you still have ahead of you. It's daunting and exciting at the same time, no?

I started shooting in July 2007 with my best friend. She had borrowed her sister's 35mm Canon Rebel and had a few rolls of fill. I was working at as an intern at a local newspaper at that time, and when she called me and told me to meet me at her house after work for a "photo adventure," I agreed with zero reluctance. I hadn't really thought of this "photo adventure" concept, but what happened was this: We dressed in duds we had recently found at a thrift store (see thrift store adventure) and went to a grassy hill with the single camera and a few rolls of film. We ran across a busy street onto the hill, passing the clear "no trespassing" sign on our way.

We looked like country folk - her in some riding boots, a crochet dress and a hat, and me in a button up in a blue vest. We passed the camera between each other, each posing as the other one's models. It was fun! And it was amazing how quickly each of us found a new shot for the other. We kept this up for a little while before we started dabbling in street photography, and then coming back to fashion. We arranged our first shoot with actual models right before I left for a year long trip to Egypt. I had got a taste and I loved it...but I had to go.

As for this blog,I started it in February 2008. At this time, I was living in Egypt studying Arabic and working as a news journalist. I knew that I loved photography and with no subjects to photograph, I decided to start this blog to at least have an outlet to talk about it. I had hung images in my room that I found inspiring and took photos of them, and then I posted them on this blog and talked about why I liked them. I finally got a digital camera and started shooting self-portraits since no one else was around...I wanted to shoot people so badly! As soon as I arrived back in the states, I started arranging shoots and working again.

Even with bouts of silence, somehow I managed to keep this blog up for almost four years now. Wow!

That said, It's going to be around for a lot longer. I love photography and fashion, and I know there is always room for improvement, always room to grow, and always more to shoot. It's amazing to see how much work has and hasn't changed in the last couple years. I guess I can say I have a style! I have to say I am glad I decided to back away from the crazy retro edits!

Thanks for reading if you made it this far. Here's to an awesome 2012.

2007:




2008:





2009:






2010:







2011:






3 comments:

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

you have no where to go but UP! ;)

Jayinee said...

Nice dude, your stuff has only been getting tighter and more focused. I really love the American Spirit picture :)

Sarah said...

Thanks ladies <3