Saturday, October 1, 2011

Coney Island Through a Plastic Lens















I've been slightly obsessed with Coney Island since my American History class back in junior year of college. Popular from the mid-1800s to just before World War II...Coney Island may be a neglected and slightly creepy amusement park now, but it used to be a destination point and vacation spot for all New Yorker due to the fact that it was just the right distance away - not too close, not too far. It may look dingy in these photos, but the area used to be a major resort, a place where people of all classes could find something fun to do in the summer. I kind of wish I had been there to see it in its glory days...but a quiet Saturday morning before opening works too.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

these are beautiful, sarah! I love the first photo~ and I love the slight gloom feel to the photos~

Ria said...

I've only been once. It's a really interesting place though I found it took forever to get there #impatient. I'd love to go back now & take pictures.

Sarah said...

@Elizabeth, thank you!!

@Ria I. KNOW. Geez going alone, it felt like I was never going to get there. I can't wait to go back and photograph it while it is open.