Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fly By

I arrived in Alexandria, Egypt just a little less than a week ago. The whole visit has been a blur and it is becoming clear to me that the next two weeks are going to fly by and before I know it, I’ll be back in California.

The flight here was relatively comfortable (key word here is relatively). On my flight from San Francisco to New York, I got stuck in the middle seat which I don’t usually like because I am long and need a lot of space for my legs. I prayed that no one fat or smelly would sit next to me and I got lucky – a really sweet (and not fat or smelly) girl sat on my left and a cool, talkative (and not fat or smelly) guy. The “talkative” characteristic helped pass the time on the first flight. I had virtually no layover, which I liked because it just sort of got the whole trip over with. A 12 hour flight is never comfortable but this wasn’t the worst I experienced – the seats were relatively comfortable and the babies front of us slept the whole time. We still had to drive from the Cairo airport all the way to Alexandria, which took another three hours. I called my friend Yasmine from the car using my Uncle’s phone because I wanted her to meet me at the house, but it was too late when we got to our apartment, so I had to wait until the next day to see here. A week later, I’ve seen everyone I care for here in Alexandria. This weekend – Cairo.

On most days, I go to sleep between 3 and 5 am everyday and wake up around 12 or 1 pm. At first I blamed it on the jet lag but now I blame it on laziness. Or just the fact that I am on vacation and I can do things like that. There’s a ten hour time difference so blaming it on jet lag doesn’t even completely make sense.

I got a little prepaid usb stick that connects me to the internet. I’ve never seen anything like it in the states but it is pretty darn cool. The only other option was dial up which takes about fifteen minutes to load a single page (remember the days of dial up?). I was using the dial up for a few days until I got this cool gadget. What a relief.

Since I am not coming here as a tourist I spend most days sleeping, chilling and eating until night time when I go out with my friends and we play.

Aside from all of this, I realized once I got here that I forgot my camera cord at home. In fact, it might be the only thing I forgot – so any photos from here are going to have to wait until I get home. I did spend the weekend before my trip photoshooting though. On Saturday the 22nd, I did an editorial shoot in a garden with a model named Selin from Look. Selin is only 17 (which I didn’t know what the time), she’s Turkish and she’s gorgeous. I also had Alanna Anderson styling and Michelle of De Linda Artistry did hair and make up. Selin is a new model but she did quite well. Loads of photos on my flickr.

On Sunday the 23rd, I was supposed to have another editorial shoot with new models Sarah and Alexander, Sarah Dean doing make up and a new stylist, Laura, pulling clothing. Unfortunately, last minute situations brought the shoot to just me and Sarah, so I did the styling and we did something a little more experimental. It was windy and the sun was going down so we had some low shutter speed shots and we messed around with some multiple exposures. Overall, it was fun! Photos so far only on my deviant art.

No comments: