Tuesday, March 24, 2009

the reading list

When I am looking for inspiration for my photos, I tend to find it all around me - even in things I may be living next to or with, and have been for years. However, a more obvious dose of inspiration comes in the mail every month as I have a subscription to Harper's Bazaar (which in my opinion is a much higher quality magazine than most of its competitors). Here are a few scans from 2008 that really caught my eye as excellent fashion photographs. I wasn't the one who scanned these so kudos to the person who did.

September 2008:







June 2008:




May 2008:






also, this particular portrait of nicole ritchie from decemeber 2005 (as seen in Seventeen Magazine) caught my eye as well.



I'm finally getting of my hiatus (for real now!). I have a shoot on Friday and another on Saturday. I am super stoked! I guess I needed this break to rethink my work and reinvent myself. These two upcoming ones are more casual, more urban outfitters catalog/teen vogue/nylon than my other fashion work, but I decided that I wanted to get my foot back into photography with a few casual shoots, and I really want to make sure my work remains varied. I'll be shooting with model Brooke on Friday and model Jessica on Saturday. Hopefully all goes well!

On that note, here are a few teen vogue scans that I like. I love high fashion photography and that is ultimately where I want to go, but I'd also love to do hip teen magazine spreads for a little while and maybe even catalog, assuming it is the catalog of a cool store or brand.





I also bought a new lens on Sunday which should help improve my fashion photos greatly. It's nothing fancy, just the kit lens for my canon 350d. When I purchased it I bought it with the body only, no lens, and I have been using the kit lens for my canon rebel 35mm for it...but I realized after each of my fashion shoots that I needed something a little wider. I'm am quite pleased overall and hopefully I'll get some great shots this weekend. We're working sans MUA so I am not obligated to take beauty shots and hopefully this will allow me to focus on the clothing a bit more.

I also have two editorial shoots coming up...but they are both much more in the air than these. I'll clue you in as we gear up to shoot!

No comments: