Friday, December 12, 2008

Alex, Can You Hear Me Now?

On Tuesday I did an editorial shoot with a visiting model named Crystal and my MUA buddy Jonathan A. We intended this to be styled much like the infamous Alexander Wang Ready to Wear, and I think we nailed it with the second look and not so much the first. Oh well! There are some beauty-ish shots from the first change I like a lot and a bit more from the second. Unfortunately, as high fashion as Crystal looks (she is just such a gorgeous asian model), I just couldn't get her to look any taller which is what I think killed the full-body shots. Since we were going for fashion editorial, I wasted a lot of full body shots.

Jonathan is happy with the shots though and there are enough for me to feel good about. Here are the best shots:








Regardless, we got some pretty good shots out of it, but only after being kicked out of Starbucks in the morning because Jonathan was hair spraying Crystal's hair. The people sitting directly near us didn't mind. In fact they seemed very interested, and an older woman sitting behind us was very sweet to us, though she was keeping Jonathan from his work. Someone must have complained though because they asked us to leave, and we compromised by going outside and working. This is definitely not the first time I have prepared for a shoot in a Starbucks but definitely the first we got kicked out. We then all drove over to our location, a super urban-y looking side of a building/parking lot. Jonathan commented that it, once again, smelled like piss, but fortunately there were far fewer cars going in and out than our last shoot with Hannah. Crystal is so good with her poses that we wrapped up our first change really fast. Jonathan commented it was his fastest first change ever, and it was my second. I ended up taking about 200 frames per change so we weren't slacking though.

We then went back to the car and stumbled across this tiny Swedish bakery. In downtown Hayward, can you believe it? We all got cookies which Crystal changed in the car and then the owners were nice enough to let us do the second look on their outside tables. Their pastries were delicious and they brought as samples as we worked. I liked the second change a lot more than the first. Crystal wore my white Michael Stars shirt, a chunky coin necklace I got from Hebron, Palestine, a silence + noise bandage skirt, leggs tights with intentional runs, and some payless shoes I borrowed from shaza. With what Jonathan did to her hair and make-up, she looked amazing.

We shot our second change on the side of another urban-y looking building with lots of bricks and bars. We attracted a bit more attention here, but it didn't bother us. Crystal kept bringing it with the poses and I again got about 200 frames before we called it quits. We were all ready to leave Hayward and it was only 2:30. Crystal went back to the pastry place to buy cookies and Jonathan and I went to Lucky to buy cheap make-up. Using me as a canvas, Jonathan found some nice things, and I did too, including a red lip gloss I gave to Sami and some lollipops I intend to use for my next shoot with Bianca. Then I drove Jonathan to the BART, and I was home really early, earlier than any other shoot day. I am trying to learn to shoot faster so I can get in more changes, but I have to admit that crystal made it easy by posing so well.

Speaking of Sami and Bianca! I went with Sami yesterday to an old train station in a part of my city I have never been to. It was awesome! I am going to use it for my shoot with Bianca, an upcoming editorial shoot which will also involve Jonathan. I am going with my unofficial assistant Sarah to check out some more locations tomorrow. I promise this will be something cool. I'm really intent on having good styling for this one since I feel like I pretty much lost my whole first look with Crystal due to bad styling. So Bianca, Sarah and I are hitting the mall sometimes soon to find the clothing. I also bought a few new shoes (for me) that I think may be useful for the shoot as well.

I'm also getting ready to buy my first ever leather-bound portfolio. I am thinking something colorful and cute. I am just so excited!

1 comment:

Song of Style said...

the shoot is amazing.
i love the styling and her hair color is awesome.